Frequently Asked Questions


How to view FAQ?
Ans: Click the question to get your answer.
What is General Pool Residential accommodation?
Ans: Government residential accommodation under the administrative control of Secretary(GAD) to the Govt. of Himachal Pradesh. Allotment of Govt.Residential accommodation is governed as per provisions of the Himachal Pradesh Allotment of Govt. Residences (General Pool) Rules,1994 and instructions issued there under.
Who is eligible to apply?
Ans: All Himachal Pradesh employees, who are working in Govt. offices, which have been declared eligible, are entitled for allotment of Govt. Residential accommodation from the General Pool.
When to apply and how?
Ans: Application for allotment of entitled type of accommodation can be made after regular appointment/joining on transfer at the place of posting in the department declared eligible for General Pool accommodation. All applications are required to be made on the prescribed forms- DE-1, duly forwarded by their respective Department/ Office to the Director of Estates/ Estate Office by 15th December every year. Such application forms can be obtained from the office of the Directorate of Estates, H.P. Sectt. ,Press Block, Shimla-2 / respective Estate Office of the Districts and will be available on the Website of the Department.
What are entitlements for various type of accommodation?
Ans: The General Pool accommodation has been classified in 8 categories. The entitlement of an applicant for a particular type is determined with reference to the Grade Pay + Pay Band drawn by him on 1st January of the current calendar year. The eligibility pay for various types of accommodation is as under :
Type of ResidenceEligibility (Grade Pay+ Pay Band)
ILess than Rs.7960/-
IILess than Rs.14590/-but not less than Rs.7960/-
IIILess than Rs.25250/- but not less than Rs.14590/-
IVLess than Rs.46200/- but not less than Rs.25250/-
VLess than Rs.54700/- but not less than Rs.46200/-
VI & aboveRs.54700/- and above.

The applicant who becomes eligible for higher type of accommodation may apply within 14 days from the date of such eligibility .
What is Allotment Year?
Ans: The Allotment Year means the year beginning on 1st January or such other period may be notified by the Govt. The applications for allotment will be valid only for one Allotment Year .
How are Priority Lists prepared?
Ans: The priority list for each type of accommodation will be drawn on 1st January of every allotment year on the basis of the applications received up to 15th December. However , it will be updated quarterly. The Priority lists drawn shall be valid only for one allotment year. The priority list of Type-I to Type-III accommodation shall be determined on the basis of the length of service i.e. the date from which the Govt. servant has been continuously in service under the State Govt. (including the period of foreign service/deputation ). The priority list for Type-IV and above type of accommodation shall be determined from the date from which a Govt. servant has been continuously drawing emoluments relevant to a particular type of accommodation in a post under the State Govt./foreign service /deputation.

Out of turn Allotment : Out of turn allotment are made by the House Allotment Committee constituted by the Govt. The categories of Govt. servants who are eligible for out of turn allotments on medical grounds and functional grounds are given in Annexure-I.
What is the general procedure of allotment?
Ans: Allotments are made on maturity of turn on the basis of the priority list ,change waiting list or out of turn allotment. The residence falling vacant is allotted preferably to an applicant desiring a change of accommodation in that type and if there are no applicants for change ,the residence is offered to other eligible applicant in order of their priority dates. Allotment in a particular type of accommodation shall be made to applicants having the earliest priority date for that type of residence. Each officer is made two allotments in each type of accommodation i.e. initial and change. On receipt of offer letter of allotment, the Govt. servant is required to submit an affidavit(on the prescribed Performa enclosed with offer letter) regarding own house in his name or in the name of any family member at or near the place of his duty along with its rental income duly attested by the Executive Magistrate, Ist Class, within 3 days and thereafter formal allotment orders will be issued .
Acceptance of allotment and follow up action : On receipt of regular allotment orders, the Govt. servant is required to convey his acceptance on the prescribed form, within period of 5 days from the date of issue of the letter duly authenticated by the Department either personally or through an authorized representative. On completion of necessary formalities, the Directorate of Estates/Estate Office will issue authority slip for taking over the possession within 3 days from the issue of authority slip. The allottee should approach the concerned Junior Engineer, PWD of the locality for taking over the physical possession of the allotted house within the stipulated period of the authority slip. While taking possession of the house from the PWD, the following precautions are recommended :
  • (a) The allottee should count each and every item of fitting/furnishing provided in the house to avoid inconvenience at later stage.
  • (b) Each deficiency should be brought out to the notice of the concerned PWD staff under acknowledgement.
  • (c) He should put his own lock in the house.
  • (d) He should obtain occupation report, duly signed by him and the Junior Engineer ,PWD.
  • (e) He should approach concerned M.C./Electricity authority for security of water and electricity connections etc.
  • (d) Rent shall be charged from the date of occupation of the accommodation or the 8th day from the date of allotment, whichever is earlier. However, the licence fee shall be charged from the date of handing of the accommodation to the allottee in case where the PWD authority certifies that the accommodation was not fit for occupation and as a result thereof the officer could not occupy the accommodation within the prescribed period .
On receipt of possession report from the PWD,the rent demand will be sent to the DDO concerned of the allottee for deduction of licence fee from his the monthly pay bill .
What is the procedure for change of accommodation?
Ans: The application for change of accommodation is entertained in the same type only. The change to a higher type of accommodation is treated as a case of fresh allotment. During the stay at a station one change will be allowed in respect of one type of residence and the second change will be allowed for exceptional reasons by the House Allotment Committee. On receipt of fresh application, the previous application already registered in the Directorate of Estates/ Estate Office shall stand cancelled and his seniority will be counted from the date of receipt of his fresh application for change of residence . The request of applicants who are allotted accommodation on out-of-turn basis will be considered for change of residence after a period of three years from the date of their possession of the present accommodation. The request of applicants for change with regard to a particular set will be considered three months before the retirement of previous allottee. The applicants desirous for change of accommodation is required to apply to the Director of Estates/Estate Officer on the prescribed forms- DE-2 . Such application forms can be obtained from the office of the Directorate of Estates, H.P. Sectt. ,Press Block, Shimla-2 / respective Estate Office of the Districts and will be available on the Website of the Department .
How to apply for the allotment of garage & Servant Quarter?
Ans: The Officers entitled for Type-IV and above accommodation are eligible for the allotment of Garage & Servant Quarter. An allottee of General Pool accommodation seeking allotment of Garage and Servant quarter may apply to the Secretary(GAD) to the Govt.of H.P.
How recovery of licence fee is made and at what rate?
Ans: The recovery of monthly licence fee of allotted accommodation is to be effected through the monthly pay bill of the allottee by the DDO concerned on the basis of the rent demand issued by the Director of Estate/Estate and the recovery schedule is required to be sent by the concerned DDO every month to the Directorate of Estates/ Estate Office for posting in the individual accounts of the allottee. On the basis of the such recovery schedule the final No Demand Certificate will be issued by the Director of Estate/Estate Officer on the retirement of the allottee and as the case may be. The licence fee for various type of accommodation in General Pool is charged at the rates prescribed by the Govt. time to time.
What is the permissible period of retention of Govt. accommodation?
Ans: An allotment of Govt. accommodation is cancelled or is deemed to have been cancelled on the expiry of the concessional period permissible under rules after the allottee ceases to be on duty in an office or he /she vacates the residence on his own . The licence fee for period permissible under the rules, in the event of retirement, transfer, death etc is required to be deposited in advance by the allottee in cash. or though Bank Draft in favour of the Director of Estates / Estate Officer. The retention period admissible including the concessional period and the rates of licence fee prescribed thereof for different situation are indicated in Annexure-II.
How to apply for retention?
Ans: An allottee seeking retention of Govt. accommodation may apply in writing on a plain paper before one month from the date of occurrence of the events necessitating such permission . The request for retention should be accompanied by the following :
  • (a) A copy of the related Govt. orders, such as proceeding on foreign service abroad , on deputation out side India ,study leave in India and abroad; transfer order outside the station, transfer and retirement etc.
  • (b) Supporting documents in case the retention is sought on educational grounds;
  • (c) In the events mentioned above they shall have to furnish an affidavit to the effect that the allotted accommodation shall be used only for the bonafide purpose of his/her family.
  • (d) Declaration of own house etc.
The payment of applicable licence fee at the rates for the period of retention may be paid in advance by cash or through Bank Draft in favour of Director of Estates/ Estate Officer concerned and the final letter for retention shall be issued only after the receipt of total rent by the Director of Estates/Estate Office. In case of failure to deposit the licence fee at the rates for the period of retention, eviction proceedings shall be initiated immediately.
Are there any concessions allowed on transfer to non-family station?
Ans: In the event of transfer of Govt. servant to Killar, Lahaul & Spiti, Dodra Kawar and Hangrasng Sub-Tehsil of Pooh sub-Division, Distt Kinnaur and happens to be an allottee of Govt. accommodation at the place of his/her previous place of posting is permitted to retain the same on payment of normal licence fee, in case the same is required by the employee for the bonafide use of his family. The request for retention of accommodation in these cases are required to be made on a plain paper, duly forwarded by his office within one month of joining which ever is earlier along with an affidavit to the effect that the allotted accommodation shall be used only for the bonafide purpose of his/her family.
What are the consequences of unauthorized occupation?
Ans: After cancellation of allotment and the period of retention permitted is over, the allottee is required to vacate the premises immediately as no further retention is permissible on any grounds whatsoever. The allottee is liable to pay damaged for use and occupation of the residence, services, furniture and garden charges calculated at the rate of Rs.18/- per sq.foot. or fixed from time to time. Thereafter the eviction proceedings shall be initiated under the provisions of the H.P. Public Premises and Land (Eviction and Rent Recovery ) Act,1971 and the recovery of outstanding arrears of licence fee / damages etc ,shall also be initiated under the aforesaid Act.
How to surrender Government accommodation?
Ans: During the period of allotment, the allottee is required to give 10 days notice to the Directorate of Estates before vacating the premises. When the allotment stands cancelled, no such notice is required. Before vacating the premises, the allottee should get the electricity and water connection disconnected and final bill settled with the local bodies. The vacant possession of the accommodation be handed over to the concerned PWD authority , after getting inventories checked and the allottee should obtain the vacation report, duly signed by the JE concerned . A copy of the vacation report should also be sent to the Directorate of Estates for issue of No Demand Certificate etc . The JE concerned will also submit the vacation report to the Directorate of Estates/Estate Office immediately .
How to obtain ‘No Due Certificate’ (NDC) from the Directorate of Estates?
Ans: After vacation of the residence, the allottee should apply for the NDC in the prescribed proforma . It should be duly forwarded by the department concerned. He should ascertain the period for which the information regarding payment of licence fee are missing in the records of Directorate of Estates/Estate Office. In case the recovery has already been made, he should get a certificate duly signed by the concerned DDO. Otherwise, he should deposit the outstanding dues to the Director of Estate /Estate Office so that the NDC could be issued.
Can Govt. accommodation be allotted to the eligible ward/spouse or unmarried daughter in case the allottee retires/dies in service?
Ans: Government permits regularization/allotment of Govt. accommodation of entitled type to the eligible ward /spouse or unmarried daughter of an allottee of General Pool who has since retired or died on the following conditions :
  • The applicant should be working in an office eligible for accommodation from the General Pool ;
  • The retired /deceased allottee or any member of his family does not own a house/flat at the place of posting ;
  • The request for regularization /allotment of accommodation is submitted on the prescribed format before 2 months after the expiry of permissible period of retention of the residence.
  • The applicant should not have drawn HRA for the last 3 years or since the date of appointment/transfer in the station whichever is relevant and he shall clear the dues outstanding in the name of retired/deceased allottee.
  • The allotment shall not be made in a category higher than a category to which the ward of the deceased or retired Govt. servant is entitled.
In addition, the following conditions are also required to be fulfilled :

In retirement case : The applicant should be residing and sharing the accommodation with the retired allottee and should not have drawn HRA for a period of 3 years preceding the date of retirement. In case the period of appointment /at the station is less than 3 years, he should not have drawn HRA for the said period.
In death case: In the case of death, the ward/spouse may be allotted accommodation, if he is appointed to Govt. service with in the permissible period of one year from the date of death of allottee.
Does the Director of Estates have Citizen Charter?
Ans: Directorate of Estates has issued a detailed Citizen Charter. The Citizen Charter is a commitment of the Directorate of Estates for implementation.

This Charter is a commitment of the Directorate of Estates to make available information regarding :
  • Directorate of Estates gives the allotment of Govt. accommodation on the basis of seniority list for the various categories. The seniority lists of each type of accommodation are prepared every year on the basis of the applications received from eligible officers/officials .The meeting of the House Allotment Committee is held tentatively on regular intervals at Govt. level.
  • The position in the seniority list of all Govt. employees who apply for Govt. accommodation and the date of priority which has been covered up to a specified date.
  • The position in the waiting list of those who applied for a change in their allotment.
  • The monthly licence fee payable by all allottees of residential houses.The letters regarding enquiries, grievances or complaints tendered by the allottees shall be acknowledged immediately and information under RTI furnished within 30 days.

The Director of Estates further comments that :
  • No Objection Certificate shall be given to all allottees who vacate Govt. accommodation, within one month of their application accompanied by certificates from the DDO’s about the outstanding licence fee, if any due.
  • Application for regularization of accommodation in favour of wards after the death/ retirement of the Govt. officials concerned and retention of Govt. accommodation under the provision of H.P .Allotment of Govt. Residences ( General Pool) Rules,1994 finally disposed of within one month after completion of various formalities.

Duties of Citizens to avail the services ;
  • To ensure that only the allottees and their families reside in the allotted accommodation.
  • Not to let out whole or part of the accommodation allotted.
  • Not to make any additions /alterations in the allotted accommodation.
  • To maintain and not to tamper with any equipments and fittings provided in the allotted accommodation.
  • To pay the licence fee and other dues such as electricity / water charges etc to the authorities concerned promptly.
  • To give the vacant possession of the premises to the concerned Junior Engineer of the localities on the ceasing of the period of allotment .
  • To send suggestions for further improvement of this charter.
  • HP Government Online House Allotment System